If you’re like MAGNET’s Matt Hickey, you were feeling kinda bummed 15 years ago today when Scottie Pippen retired from the NBA. Luckily, you could’ve made your way down to the local record store and picked up these brand-new albums on release day to soothe your soul:
- De La Soul The Grind Date — It’s like that.
- Robyn Hitchcock Spooked — All full moon into his soul.
- Hot Snakes Audit In Progress — We called it “a lean, fierce, 33-minute garage-punk showdown in Little San Diego.”
- R.E.M. Around The Sun — We saw the light fading out.
- William Shatner Has Been — 36 years in the making and featuring Ben Folds, Joe Jackson, Aimee Mann, Henry Rollins, Adrian Belew and Brad Paisley!
- Tom Waits Real Gone — We still believe that there’s gold at the end of the world.
And to have on hand 22 days later to celebrate the Red Sox’s first World Series win since 1918, you could’ve purchased:
- Various Artists Left Of The Dial: Dispatches From The ’80s Underground
82 essential indie essentials from the Decade Of Greed, with songs from MAGNET faves like Beat Happening, Nick Cave, Cocteau Twins, Cure, dB’s, Dinosaur Jr, Dream Syndicate, Echo & The Bunnymen, Feelies, Go-Betweens, Robyn Hitchcock, Hüsker Dü, Jam, Jesus And Mary Chain, Joy Division, Mission Of Burma, Pixies, Pogues, R.E.M., Replacements, Smithereens, Sonic Youth, Stone Roses, Three O’Clock, XTC and more. Read our review: