As evidenced by both their music and exclamatory band name, the seven members of Cardiff, Wales’ Los Campesinos! are excitable boys and girls. The group’s third album, Romance Is Boring (Arts & Crafts), is an energetic, all-hands-on-deck dash through the pantheon of sharp indie pop and sloppy post-punk, gathering steam from Bright Eyes’ sense of emotional catharsis and Art Brut’s wry take on modern love. Try to gather all the influences brought to bear on Romance Is Boring by LC!’s seven-member army, however, and we’d be here all day. MAGNET spoke to songwriter Tom Campesinos! and guitarist Neil Campesinos!—all members (Tom, Neil, Ellen, Gareth, Harriet, Ollie and Kim) have taken the band’s surname—about the new album. Los Campesinos! will be guest editing magnetmagazine.com all week. Read our Q&A with them.
Neil: The Potato Waffle Breakfast Stack is the perfect breakfast for those looking for something quick and healthy in the morning. Although I sometimes treat myself to a bowl of oatmeal, I normally kick off my day with this delicious meal of baked beans, potato waffles, bacon and an egg.
Half a tin of baked beans
2 potato waffles
2/3 rashers of quality bacon
1 free-range egg
Salt and pepper
A 10-step guide to perfecting this morning classic
1. Wash your hands.
2. Assemble necessary ingredients.
3. Place waffles under the grill on a medium heat. They normally take about eight-10 minutes to cook. Turn after four minutes, and cook until crisp.
4. Fry or grill the bacon. I fry it until it’s cooked through, then I crisp it in the grill.
5. Heat the beans. This can be done in the microwave or on the hob. They take about three minutes.
6. Be ready now to plate your food in this order: beans, waffle, bacon, waffle and, finally, the egg.
7. Fry the egg. I normally cook my eggs over easy. (The egg, of course, can be cooked to your preference.)
8. Plate up.
9. Add your favourite condiment(s), and enjoy with a glass of orange juice.
10. Leave the mess for your housemates/family/friends to clean.